Wednesday, September 8, 2010

from Stony Point to Southern Decadence

SO!

Where to begin. These past two and half weeks of my life have encompassed every emotion I can think of.The highs of being in a new place and meeting new people form the lows of having to say good bye.


I spent the the last week in August in Stony Point New York. It is an amazing place. All of the YAVs for the 2010-2011 year met up there and had a week of orientation. We stayed st Stony Point Conference Center which is a Presbyterian affiliated .


MY week looked like this



8 am- Wake up, shower, breakfast
9:15-Bible Study
10:15-Break
10:30-Discernment, quiet time
Noon: Lunchtime!
1:30-Seminar till 5!
5 pm-Break
6-Dinner
7-Small Group
8-Vespers (closing nightly worship)
9-etc...Free time



My week involved the singing of new songs, in at least 4 different languages, that I still can not get out of my head. I felt at home from the very beginning! I met amazing people and reconnected with other people that I knew from my days at Mo and FPC Bryan. It is one small Presbyterian world. I had one of the best times of my life at Stony Point. I learned a lot about my self and my life as a Christian. I learned a lot about what it means to be part of a community. I heard some amazing stories form amazing people ( you should check out the book How Coffee Saved my Life )


On Sunday we were split up into different groups and sent to Churches within a Presbytery to be commissioned. Emma, Tasha and I went to Larchmont Presbyterian church in Larchmont New York. We each spoke about why we were serving and what we would be doing. At the end of the worship service the congregation present us with a candle and a flashlight telling us to go into the world and be the light of Christ. I cried. It was so sweet!


Bill took the three of us into New York City because on the car ride from Stony Point to Larchmont I might have let it slip that he would be my hero if he took up to the city.I had never seen NYC so that was super exciting. We stopped by Ground Zero and the Statue of Liberty.


We left Stony Point the next day. I cried for a good portion of the bus ride to the airport. I had made such amazing friends who I had to say goodbye to... they are currently in Kenya, South Korea, Ireland, India, Louisville, and many other places :(


Everyone made it to their sites safely which I am greatful for. I will get to see them all again in September of 2011 at Re entry in New Mexico!


Once we got back to NOLA the orientation did not stop. I have been filling out paper work and meeting new people for almost a month now! Sunday morning the NOLA YAVs worshiped at Faith Presbyterian Church and had a lunch that they provided. They are a very generous Church!


This Past weekend was Southern Decadence weekend here in NOLA . According to Wikipedia Southern Decadence is:Southern Decadence is a week-long, predominantly gay-male event held in New Orleans, Louisiana and its environs by the gay and lesbian community during Labor Day Weekend, climaxing with a parade through the French Quarter on the Sunday before Labor Day. Most events take place in or around the French Quarter neighborhood of New Orleans, centering especially on the intersection of Bourbon and St. Ann streets.


I had never seen anything like it in my life! It was amazing! The parade was hilarious! I am defiantly still getting accustomed to the New Orleans Culture


I start work tomorrow! I can not wait!





This is a picture of all the YAVS and YAV faciliators

No comments:

Post a Comment