Monday, May 16, 2011

Callings: to a Place OR to Action


I have gotten into the habit of writing posts after what I consider to be life altering events. This is yet another one of those posts.
As you may or may not know I applied for a second YAV year. I had interviews with two sites, Hollywood and Denver. Both of my interviews were AMAZING! I felt equally called to both cities. This calling confused me. This time last year I thought I was “called” to be a YAV in Denver yet here I am in the great city of New Orleans. In October I thought I was “called” to Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary. Yet again in March I felt a “call” to Kenya for my second year. So here I am feeling called to two cities and my track record for understanding my calling is Me 0 God 3. So I decided to do the only thing that I knew would work. I prayed by myself and with others and left the decision of my “call” up to God.   I can officially say now that God wants me to be in Denver (just a year later than I anticipated)!
I cannot wait to experience a new city and an actual winter! In Texas and New Orleans there are really only 2 seasons. Hot and hotter (as most of you know) so 4 seasons is going to be AMAZING!

For those of you who have been following me on Twitter or Facebook you might have noticed recently a lot of posts about something called 10A. I knew nothing at about this issue until this summer at General Assembly. It was the hot topic of the plenary discussions. For those of you who do not know what 10A is it is an amendment that will change the PC (USA)’s book of order that will change the qualifications for ordinations. It makes the following changes .

Original
Those who are called to office in the church are to lead a life in obedience to Scripture and
In conformity to the historic confessional standards of the church. Among these standards is the Requirement to live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage between a man and a woman or chastity in singleness. Persons refusing to repent of any self-acknowledged practice which the confessions call sin shall not be ordained and/or installed as deacons, elders, or ministers of the Word and Sacrament.

 This will be Changed to!

Standards for ordained service reflect the church’s desire to
submit joyfully to the Lordship of Jesus Christ in all aspects of life The governing body
responsible for ordination and/or installation shall examine each candidate’s
calling, gifts, preparation, and suitability for the responsibilities of office. The examination shall include, but not be limited to, a determination of the candidate’s ability and commitment to fulfill all requirements as expressed in the constitutional questions for ordination and installation Governing bodies shall be guided by Scripture and the confessions in applying standards to individual candidates.

I believe that the amendment that passed the 87th presbytery (which gives it a majority of votes and ratifies it!) is a major step towards equality within the church. We can finally practice what we preach. We as a church preach love and acceptance as long as it fits within our comfort zone. 50 years ago the people we not wanting to accept were the African Americans.  However over time the majority of places accept them for who they are . Children of God. It is my prayer for the church, not just PC(USA)  that we learn to love and accept everyone for who they are. This means allowing them to become candidates for ordination and allowing them  to become ordained if they feel such a call has been placed on their life. Everyone has a call placed on their life. Who am I to deny them that call.  This is a tough topic . Love however, is an easy topic. We are called to love everyone. This does not mean love only the straight people or only the white people or the legal citizens. Loving everyone means loving the Gay person, Loving the African American or Hispanic and loving those who are here trying to make a better life for themselves.
Micah 6: 8 He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.

Thus ends this post of callings and love!

*the opinions that I am stating in this BLOG do not reflect the opinions of  other YAVS or other members of PC(USA).  These are my opinions  JUST FYI!




1 comment: