Monday, July 26, 2010

My summer thus far


This summer has been like no other summer I have ever experienced. I am a college graduate about to embark on a year of mission. Knowing that I am going to be moving away out of Texas is scary. I never pictured myself as a missionary but I guess God did. I was placed in Denver but that site was closed so now I will be serving as a missionary in New Orleans. At first I was heartbroken. I was all psyched about spending a year in Denver. I found out about the Denver site closing on the fourth of July. I went to the 219th General Assembly on the 7th .I was to be commissioned by the church. The other YAVs that I was going to be commissioned with all knew where they were going and what they were going to be doing. It made me feel really out of place. Once all of us got to talking I found out that it did not matter where I was I was going to be serving Christ as long as I served him. We wondered the exhibit hall and that’s where I met a YAV currently serving in New Orleans. That’s when I knew that God had bigger plans. I am now just as excited to serve God in New Orleans! I am interviewing with different locations to see where my skills can best be put to use. I have to admit the discernment process is not easy. All of the locations sound amazing.
Another amazing thing that has happened to me this summer was attending KSBJ’s Booming on the Bay free concert series. I went by myself to see one of my favorite bands SEVENTH DAY SLUMBER!!!! If you are my friend on face book or follow me on Twitter you know that has been all I have been talking about lately. Needless to say the concert was AMAZING x10. I knew their music had changed my life but I had no idea that their concert would change it again. I spent the day at the boardwalk wondering around. I met some great people who let me hang with them during the concert. I even got to see SDS warm up which is amazing in itself but then I actually met the band and got to take pictures with Joseph and Josh! During the concert I was in the exact middle of the stage in front of 2 giant speakers. Literally my pants were shaking it was so loud. The concert was the first time I heard Joseph’s testimony about how he came to love Jesus. I cried like a baby and so did everyone else around me. I am still on this amazing high from the concert.
One of my favorite Bible verses or chapters is Matthew 25 and SDS has a song written about it and every time I hear it I cry. I thought you might like to read the lyrics

I call myself a man of God

While laughing at my brother

I crossed the heart of a hungry man

Instead of giving him some bread
And what I say

And what I do

Are not the same anymore

And who I slay, who I betray

Lord have mercy on my soul

And you were hungry

And you were thirsty

You were lonely you were cold

And you were hurting, you were dying

I just left you all alone



I watched a mother who had her children

They all three crying out for help

But know one heard them

And I just passed them and

I screamed "Lady get a job!"

She took her own life

Under the bridge that day

While her children sat and cried

I could have told her about my loving father

Instead I spit in Jesus face, when I heard her voice

What you do unto the least of them

You do unto me

And when you see one of my hurting children

I want you to snee

Cause I was hungry

And I was thirsty

I was lonely I was cold

And that was me hurting, that was me dying

And you just left me all alone

I call myself a man of God

While laughing at my brother


When you read my blog there are a few things you should probably expect:
1) I am not that great at spelling or grammar. I am writing in word first so that it will catch most of it but there will still be some mistakes.
2) This blog will be totally random and sometimes it may not make any sense
3) I will upload pictures and videos whenever I can

I want to thank all of you for your any monetary or non prayer contribution that you have given me in my year of mission. I could not be here without your support and love
GBY
Maegen

No comments:

Post a Comment