Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Traveling YAV

I have been very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary this past weekend.


Flowers at LPTS

I woke up early Thursday morning (05:00am) and began the twelve hour drive to Louisville. I made a point in stopping in very state I drove through. I drove through five different states: Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, and finally Kentucky. I finally reached Louisville about 6:30pm Eastern Time. I checked into Laws Lodge, the hotel on campus, and visited with the other explorers that were already there.

I woke early Friday morning for breakfast feeling a little anxious about what the day would bring and because I would be spending my birthday with people I did not know. After breakfast and a short introduction to LPTS (Louisville Presbyterian Theological Seminary) and to each other we headed off to class! We attended History of the Christian Experience or HCE for short. It is a required class for the MDiv degree. This particular morning Alex (that’s right you call your professors by their first name) was leading a class on Christianity in Asia (Korea, Japan and China.) I loved the class. Because I was a history major a lot of the information that Alex was speaking about I already knew.

After class we attended Chapel. I don’t know how to put into words the feeling that I came over me the second I walked into the Chapel at LPTS. I felt a sense of community, a sense of deep love, and a sense of peace. The chapel service was outstanding! There were students playing the Djembes, a style of drum from Africa. This immediately took me back to the YAV orientation where Djembes were a constant presence. The President gave the sermon. I was able to attend chapel on what I heard someone refer to “feasting Friday”. This means that on Fridays they have communion and after the worship service has ended everyone stays after and partakes in a feast of communion bread and other items which were bought and placed on the table. This particular Friday there was as array of food such as fruits and vegetables, Hummus, bread and cheese just to name a few. I found this to be an amazing experience. It was an actual communion with your fellow believers.

After chapel we had lunch with current LPT students. They gave us their opinion on what LPTS can offer us and answered any questions that we had. Oh yeah and the admissions office made me a BIRTHDEAY CAKE!!! I could not believe it! A campus tour of the academic buildings followed lunch. At five pm the potential new students and the entire faculty gathered at Garden Court (a house on the campus) for dinner. I was excited to meet some of the faculty and get to know them on a somewhat more personal level. After a group photo all of those in attendance went into the dining room. The president introduced himself and then put the faculty on the spot telling them to 1) introduce themselves 2) name three people (living or dead) that they would want to have dinner with 3) what the conversation would be like4) what they would eat and 5) their favorite thing about living in Louisville. Some of the answers the faculty gave were very unique. The professor of the Old Testament wanted to have dinner with some influential women of the Old Testament.

Saturday we sat through financial aid and housing conversations. Not necessarily the highlight of the trip but, still much needed information. In the afternoon we went on a housing tour of the campus and then a bus tour of the city. During the bus tour we were able to take pictures of Louisville and what the city actually looked like. Ryan, one of the students at LPTS who was on the tour with us, convinced Tanner, Amanda, (two fellow explorers) and me to get off the bus with him and walk around the art festival which was going on downtown. I have to say that I am glad that I chose to get off the bus and explore. I got to meet more LPTS students and see what the culture of Louisville was like. The only downside is that it started to rain and I was wearing my TOMS which are made out of a canvass material, needless to say they were soaked through in about five min. We made it back in time to meet Lewis, who worked for the seminary, to head out to dinner. I felt like I was having dinner with 15 of my closest friends. I think that was the moment in which I knew I was being called to LPTS. I became good friends with many of the explorers. After dinner Tanner, Amanda and I stayed up till all hours of the morning discussing the day and, scripture verses, and whatever else came into our minds. In fact I am friends with five of them on Facebook. I could not have asked for a better birthday weekend.



I have been back from LPTS for a week. I have contacted the Committee of Preparation for Ministry (CPM) and am in the process of becoming an Inquirer. This just lets PCUSA know that I am discerning a call to ministry. The foreseeable future is going to be filled with lots of paperwork, essay questions and meetings .I is SUPER EXCITED!

FUN FACT #1: I have visited eight different states since becoming a YAV

1. Minnesota

2. New York

3. Louisiana

4. Mississippi

5. Alabama

6. Tennessee

7. Kentucky

8. Indiana ( we had dinner here Saturday night while I was visiting LPTS)



Last night (Saturday October 9th) I volunteered to work the Make a Difference Tour in Lafayette! I have become a contemporary Christian music fan. I find that listening to Christian music always puts my focus on God and how He is using me every day, even when I cannot see it. The tour consisted of: Michael W Smith, Toby Mac, Third Day, Max Lucado and an upcoming Christian artist, Jason Gray. It was a life changing experience. I was selling merchandise (posters, t-shirts, hats, books ex.) and in exchange I received 1) a free ticket to the show (I was surprised how good the seats were) and 2) one free piece of merchandise. I chose the four packs. (One Toby Mac CD, one Third Day CD, one Michael W Smith CD, and a Max Lucado book Out Live Your Life.) I got home about two AM, IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT. I got some autographs and lots of amazing pictures!

FUN FACT #2: I have seen six different Contemporary Christian Artists live since July!

1. Seventh Day Slumber

2. Super Chick

3. Jason Gray

4. Michael W Smith


5. Third Day

6. Toby Mac



I hope Everyone Is doing well. I am loving life as a YAV. I could not ask for a better way to spend a year after graduation! I am truly blessed by each and every person that I have met!

Thank you to all who have donated to my year! I am over ¾ of the way to my goal



Max Lucado spoke last night on 1 John 1:5 we want to leave you with this scripture verse


This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light and in him there is no darkness at all





Jason Gray and me after he Signed my CD

LPTS CHAP.

LPTS ( I don't know where I took this Pic)

LPTS CHAP

Tanner being CrAzY

 Garden Court at LPTS







The Floor in the Chap at LPTS

LPTS
T
 The Guitar Player for TobyMac

2 comments:

  1. Aww...I made it into the blog. :) Yay LPTS! So glad we could have such great discussions. Peace, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OF COURESE YOU MADE IT! Talking with you and Tanner was one of the highlights of my trip to Louisville! Misss you ! I hope your Senior year is going well!
    In Christ,
    Maegen

    ReplyDelete